21 November 2013, Zagreb, Croatia
organized by The Institute of Economics, Zagreb (EIZ)
The Institute of Economics, Zagreb, a research institute with a long tradition in economic research in Croatia, is organizing an international conference on The Role of Europe’s Industry in the 21st Century. The conference intends to bring together experts from academia, international institutions, central banks, government institutions and the private sector to discuss the future of industry in the European Union and South East Europe. The discussion will be initiated by invited speeches and presented conference papers.
The Institute of Economics, Zagreb invites researchers and other specialists to submit their abstracts by 1 July 2013.
Industry is still the most important element of Europe’s economic structures. It accounts for a major part of exports and R&D investments and it creates additional jobs in the services sector as well. However, industry has been severely hit by the recent economic crisis, which has also revealed many of its present weaknesses. Therefore, it is important to explore the present?day performance of Europe’s industry, to identify problems
affecting industry in both the EU and South East Europe, and to try to propose the most appropriate elements of the future industrial policy.
In such a context, possible topics include (without being restricted to):
- is industry still indispensable for economic growth?
- what have been the main characteristics of industrial enterprises which have performed best during the economic crisis?
- what are the main obstacles to industrial development in the EU and SEE?
- can the industries of the EU and SEE be competitive on the global market and how?
- what kind of infrastructure should be provided by the public sector in order to enhance the development of the competitive industrial sector?
- how to secure knowledge and skills for a new industrial development?
- what industrial policies generic medication online pharmacy could be the most efficient in reinforcing industrial growth?
- how to develop the industrial sector in a sustainable way?
More general insights are also welcome, especially those of relevance for the industrial policy in the region.
Jože Damijan, Faculty of Economics, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Abstracts should be a maximum of 300 words and should include:
- Central theme or hypothesis: what question(s) will be addressed?
- Approach and methodology: how will the question(s) be addressed?
- 3?5 keywords.
- Please include author(s) full name(s), affiliation(s), mailing address(es), telephone and
- fax number(s), e?mail address(es). Abstracts should be sent by 1 July 2013 to the following e?mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstract submission deadline: by 1 July 2013
- Abstract acceptance notification: by 14 July 2013
- Full paper submission deadline: by 1 October 2013
- Full paper acceptance: by 15 October 2013
- Registration for participants: by 8 November 2013
Presented papers will be invited for publication in Croatian Economic Survey issued in April 2014. The papers published in Croatian Economic Survey are listed in the AEA indexes included in JEL on CD, e?JEL, and EconLit as well as the International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS), ABI/INFORM, EBSCO and SCOPUS.
There is no registration fee for the conference. Due to limited funds available, the organizers cannot offer full financial support for travel and accommodation expenses to participants with accepted papers.
Instructions for authors, registration forms and other information will be available at the Institute’s website www.eizg.hr in due time.
Conference Venue: The Institute of Economics, Zagreb, Trg J. F. Kennedy 7, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia.
Conference Committee: Tanja Broz, Dubravka Jurlina Alibegovi?, Sandra Švaljek, Maja Vehovec, all affiliated with the Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
Ms. Margareta Ani?i?
The Institute of Economics, Zagreb
Trg J. F. Kennedyja 7
10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Phone: +385 (0)1 2362 237
Fax: +385 (0)1 2335 165
Conference e?mail: email@example.com
EIZ web: www.eizg.hr